Otl201 Post 5

What are the 2-3 most important concepts that have impacted your thoughts on student engagement and retention during this course?

-I would say that the instructor strategies are what have most impacted my thoughts on the topic of student engagement and retention. These strategies appear helpful in both creating a more responsive environment for the students, as well as allowing instructors (who have not had a hand in creating the content) more sense of ownership and control. The activities that are of most interesting to me are the suggestion to include a tutorial at sensitive or difficult points in the course as well creating a FAQ.

Discuss your rationale for implementing 1 or 2 course facilitation strategies to increase student retention and engagement.

-I plan to implement both a tutorial at sensitive or difficult points in the course as well creating a FAQ. I also plan to ensure that I create an environment that emphasizes flexibility, and respects the needs of online learners. My rationale for implementing these strategies includes my desire to create a responsive and safe learning environment. Additionally, I was a co-author on the course I will be teaching, so I know the students will be expected to explore some personal experiences, attitudes, skills, and values as part of their course work.

Identify 2-3 specific goals that you would like to achieve in light of what you have learned about social presence and creating effective educational media.

Goal 1:

I will look for opportunities to naturally emphasize my social presence in my course (s) before the students begin the course (m/t). I will aim for at least three opportunities—at the beginning, mid-point, and end (a/r).

Goal 2:

In reviewing the course before it begins, I will also identify at least two early opportunities to inject support in the form of video tutorials (s/m). The tutorials will be brief, but inclusive and descriptive with an invitation to ask for further support (a/r/t).

Goal 3:

I will use student questions and comments to inform a FAQ document (s). I will add questions and responses as they occur (m/a), and aim to post the FAQ within the first or second week of students moving through the course (t). I will also revisit the document on a regular basis.

Think about some questions you still have with respect to student engagement and retention.

-I am interested in exploring more strategies for engagement and retention.

-In one of my online courses, we utilize conference calls with or without adobe connect, and I a plan to explore the findings on these strategies.

-I am also interested further exploring how I can ensure students feel comfortable enough in the environment to ensure their needs are met.

~Tanya????